The mission of Defy the Issue as a community coalition involving Evesham, Medford, Medford Lakes, Mount Laurel, Shamong, Southampton, Tabernacle and Woodland is to educate families and residents of all ages about the dangers of illegal drug and alcohol use and to provide support for young people by empowering them to DEFY the pressures of drug and alcohol use. This will be accomplished through:
A marketing campaign demonstrating solidarity forDefy the Issue
Education, outreach and support for families
- Community awareness soliciting sponsorship and support for Defy the Issue from all stakeholders
Chris Herren Video Promo ContestThe Defy the Issue campaign will once again welcome former NBA star Chris Herren to the Lenape Regional High School District this fall. Check out the student-produced video used to promote Chris Herren's previous visit to the Lenape District:
Now YOU have a chance to help promote this year's event!The video YOU produce could be selected to promote Chris Herren's upcoming visit to the Lenape District. He will be speaking at separate presentations at Lenape, Shawnee, Cherokee and Seneca during the school day for every student to hear as well as one evening presentation for parents and other members of the community. Chris realized his dreams of playing in the NBA only to lose it all to addiction. Drug and alcohol-free since 2008, he will share his inspirational story with the Lenape District. Soon after the release of his memoir Basketball Junkie in 2011, Chris established The Herren Project as a way to assist individuals and families struggling with addiction.Contest Rules:
- Any Lenape District student may submit a video.
- Students may submit multiple entries.
- Entries may not exceed a maximum length of 2 minutes.
- Students may not use any registered or trademarked logos or images in your video other than ones currently used by and created for the Lenape District.
- All entries must be received by Friday, September 22, 2017.
- All entries must be uploaded to your personal YouTube account and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 15-Minute Child Break is a FREE, interactive, one hour presentation for parents, grandparents and caregivers who are concerned about children (of any age) and substance abuse. Representatives from the Partnership meet with groups on location to deliver this informative, engaging, and education presentation.National Study from DrugFree.org
Teen marijuana use up 80% since 2008 and 1 in 10 teens report using marijuana at least 20 times a month.
• Click HERE for parent resources
- Southampton Twp. Schools & Lenape Regional High School District Parent/Student Presentation
- Video Promos
- Opening Day Staff Recognition Poster
- Freshman Orientation Promotion
- Back to School Night Promotion
- Football Helmet Decal and Collaboration with Rec. Programs
- Business Promotional Partnerships
- Clings with QR Codes
- Nike Letter
- Family Dinner Link
- Board of Education Updates
- PRIDE Grant Application Submitted by LDEA
- Medford Municipal Alliance Grant
- Partnership with Medford Township Schools as part of the Municipal Alliance Grant
- Partnership with Prevention Plus of Burlington County
- Partnership with King's Crusade
Prescription drug abuse is not a new problem, but it is one that deserves renewed attention. According to data reported by the National Institute on Drug Abuse in December 2011, prescription and over-the-counter medications account for most of the commonly abused illicit drugs by high school seniors. For example, nearly 1 in 12 high school seniors reported non-medical use of Vicodin and 1 in 20 reported abuse of OxyContin. When asked how prescription narcotics were obtained for non-medical use, 70 percent of 12th graders said they were given to them by a friend or relative.