Buffalo Chicken Cups
24 wonton wrappers
2 tsp. canola oil
1/4 tsp. salt
2 medium chicken breasts (about 1 lb total), cooked and shredded
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup Frank’s hot sauce
1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
1-2 scallions and/or 2 tablespoons minced red onion (optional garnish)
ranch dressing (optional, for serving)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray your mini muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray (mine has 24 wells-if yours only has 12, you’ll need 2).
- Working with a few of the wonton wrappers at a time, lay them on your work surface, and brush both sides with a little of the oil. Press each into one of the wells of the mini muffin tin – the sides will overlap and stick up over the top of the well. Repeat until you’ve brushed all of the wontons and fit each into the pan. Sprinkle the salt evenly among the cups. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the wonton cups are crisp and golden brown. Reduce oven temperature to 350 F.
- To make the buffalo sauce: add the butter to a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat. Cook until melted, then mix in the hot sauce, brown sugar and cider vinegar. Add the shredded chicken and toss to coat with the sauce.
- Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture into each wonton wrapper.
- Top with about 1/2 teaspoon of cheese per cup (you could use more if you wanted, but I left space for other toppings).
- Place the wonton cups back in the oven for about 7-10 minutes to allow the cheese to melt and warm the chicken through.
- Garnish with sliced scallions and/or red onion and serve with ranch dressing, if desired.
Makes 24 cups