Open-Faced Croque Monsieur
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup warm milk
Kosher salt and black pepper
1 cup grated Gruyère
8 ounces thick country-style or whole-grain bread, crusts removed
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
6 ounces ham, thinly sliced
⅓ cup finely grated Parmesan
1. Melt the butter over low heat in a small saucepan.
2. Add the flour, stirring with a wooden spoon until it smells nutty and is slightly browned, about 2 minutes.
3. Slowly pour the milk into the pot and cook, whisking, until the sauce is thickened.
4. Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, the nutmeg, and Gruyère until the cheese is melted.
5. Heat broiler to high with the rack 6 inches from the flame.
6. Place the bread on a baking sheet. Lightly brush half the bread with mustard and layer on the ham.
7. Spoon the cheese sauce over the bread and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
8. Broil until the sauce is bubbly and lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
9. Serve warm.