High School Athletic Eligibility
New Jersey Interscholastic Athletic Association Eligibility Rules apply to all boy and girl varsity, junior varsity, sophomore, and freshman teams which will be representing a high school. STUDENTS MUST ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR MAKING SURE THAT THEY MEET THE NJSIAA ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS. If students have any questions or concerns after reading the eligibility rules, or if, at any time, they think they may be in jeopardy of falling below the minimum required credits for athletic eligibility, they should contact their school counselor, athletic director or team coach immediately!
Students are ELIGIBLE if they have not reached the age of 19 before September 1 of the current school year.
Students are ELIGIBLE to represent their high school for 8 consecutive semesters following entrance to ninth grade.
Students are academically ELIGIBLE for athletic competition if the following criteria is met:
Student athletic eligibility following a transfer is determined by the following criteria:
1. It is the student's first transfer: Students are entitled to one penalty-free transfer during the first six semesters after their initial high school enrollment, provided that the transfer occurs on or before the Start of Practice Date of the sports season in which the transfer occurs.
2. Transfers occurring after the Start of Practice: Students who transfer after the Start of Practice Date will be subject to a 30-day period of ineligibility (or 1/2 the maximum number of contests in that sport, whichever is less).
3. Transfers occurring after the Competition Start Date: In addition to the period of eligibility started above, any student who transfers after the Competition Start Date will not be eligible for the NJSIAA postseason competition in that sport.
4. A student's second or subsequent transfer: Students who transfer a second or subsequent time will be subject to a 30-day period of ineligibility (or 1/2 the maximum number of contests, whichever is less) for all NJSIAA sanctioned sports in which the student participated during the 12 months preceding the transfer.
5. Senior transfers: Senior transfers are subject to a 22-day period of ineligibility (or 1/3 the maximum number of contests, whichever is less) in each sport in which they participated during or after their third season of eligibility, during the 12 months preceding the transfer.
6. General application: This transfer rule applies to athletes of all levels of participation (not just varsity athletes) and is applicable to all NJSIAA-sanctioned sports in which the student participated during the 12 months preceding the transfer. Transferring students may participate in a new sport without penalty. The period of ineligibility will begin on the competition start date of each sport. For students who transfer after the competition start date, the period of ineligibility will begin on the date of enrollment into the school.