Student Guidelines for Requesting Letters of Recommendation
Check college websites to determine the number and/or type of teacher recommendations needed (academic only, specific subject, etc.)
Most colleges only require a maximum of 2 letters; therefore, you should only ask for a Letter of Recommendation from a teacher if it will be read by the college.
When and How to Ask for a Letter of Recommendation:
- Ask politely and always in person.
- Writing a Letter of Recommendation is a professional courtesy; therefore, it is the teacher’s option to write a Letter of Recommendation for you.
- Students are encouraged to ask at the end of junior year- ask a maximum of 2 teachers.
- Teachers have the option of waiting until the fall of senior year to write Letters of Recommendations.
- Forms will not be available until the fall of senior year. It is the responsibility of the student to follow up with the teachers at the beginning of senior year.
- If you ask in senior year, a minimum of three weeks’ notice is needed.
All letters and specific recommendation forms will be stored in and sent through Naviance. Students will NOT have access to the Letters of Recommendations.
Senior year: Follow Naviance directions for requesting a Letter of Recommendation
Please print the form below. Completely fill out the form and submit it to your teacher/s.