Criteria for acceptance of the Lenape Regional High School District Independent Study program are defined in Board of Education Policy 2320: INDEPENDENT STUDY.
Independent Study is offered as an Option Two program to allow students to develop interests beyond those available in the district curriculum which:
1. Relates the real world and the school world in a more meaningful fashion.
2. Inculcates a sense of community service in the minds of students.
3. Broadens the base of learning to include a greater variety of experiences.
4. Draws upon the human and material resources that the community offers.
High School credit will be awarded for Independent Study under the following conditions:
1. All courses must be approved prior to beginning the study.
2. Student and parent will make a request to the school counselor. Application must be completed and accompanied by a proposal for the Independent Study work explaining the project, timeframe, objectives, and credit desired.
3. A committee of staff members, as appointed by the principal, will review the proposal to approve for submission for BOE approval and coordinate review of completed Independent Study work.
4. All independent study programs must be approved by the Board of Education prior to beginning work.
5. Upon completion of the independent study a weekly time log and a portfolio of work completed must be submitted for evaluation and grading to the committee.
6. The committee will grant credit based on a review of the completed project. As a general guide 5 credits = 180 hours.
7. No more than 5 credits can be earned through Independent Study in a school year.
8. Independent Study work will be recorded on the transcript as a Pass and will not be calculated into GPA or class rank.
9. A shortened school day might not be possible after schedules have been finalized in late August.
10. The safety, cost and transportation, to and from, any Option Two program and any and all costs for programs, fees, books, supplies, support, tutoring, etc. are the responsibility of the student's parent/guardian. By completing the Option Two request the parent/guardian(s) agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Lenape Regional High School District, its agents or employees from any and all claims of any type, action, complaint, judgment, costs or personal injury, arising out of, or related to, the student's participation in the Option Two program.