Physical Education Exemption FAQs
Who is eligible for PE exemption?
- 10th, 11th & 12th grade students playing an LRHSD sport or participating in marching band or a competitive sport outside the LRHSD
What are the requirements?
- The student must be a sophomore, junior or a senior
- The student must complete the entire season of the sport/activity
- The sport/activity must meet or exceed the NJ DOE Student Learning Standards for Health and Physical Education
- The sport/activity must meet or exceed the LRHSD Health and Physical Education Long Term Learning Goals
- The sport/activity must include an intensive training program that prepares the student for competition at a high school level or beyond
- The sport/activity must occur during the current school calendar year
- The sport/activity must meet or exceed the NJ State required (18A:35-8) minimum of 150 minutes per week or a total of 3600 minutes per school calendar year
What can I take in place of PE?
- Half year elective as available or a study hall
What if I already have a study hall on my schedule?
- Students can take a full year study hall and have a half year study hall in place of PE
What if I experience a season ending injury during the season?
- Notify your counselor right away and you can work through possible solutions
Can I also opt out of Health?
- No, you may only opt out of half year PE
If I opt out of PE my sophomore year, do I need to go through the PE Exemption process again if I want to opt out my junior year?
- Yes, each year you need to reapply via the PE Exemption process
How do I let my counselor know I am interested in Option Two PE?
- The Genesis course selection will be prepopulated with Health/PE
- There will be a notice for the PE Exemption application process and the PE Exemption Google Application and supporting documents that may be required
- You should also reach out to your guidance counselor and let them know you are interested in pursuing Option Two PE
Can I leave early or arrive late as with a regular study hall during my half year PE study hall?