Study Guide Questions for The Crucible
Directions: Answer the following questions as we move through The Crucible. All of the answers can be found in the text.
- How many men and women were convicted and executed for witchcraft in 1692? (vii)
- What year did the Massachusetts General Assembly pass a resolution regarding the witch trials? (vii)
- What is the “one text” that would be consulted regarding witchcraft? (viii)
- Why did Elizabeth Proctor survive? (viii)
- Molly Kazan states that witches didn’t exist, but what did? (x)
- By the end of the seventeenth century, how many people are estimated to have been executed as witches worldwide? (xi)
- What did the House Un-American Activities Committee offer (along with religion)? (xii)
- What was Reverend Parris concerned with? (xiii)
- How old were the real John Proctor and Abigail Williams? (xiv)
- What was Giles Corey’s wife fond of? (xiv)
- The parallel that is drawn is between Salem in 1692 and what? (xv)
- What is one dictionary definition of a “crucible?” (xvi)
- The first three witches named were Tituba, Sarah Good, and Sarah Osburne. What does the book refer to them as? (xviii)
- What is the name of the “evidence” that is given? (xix)
- Are witch hunts still conducted in the present day? (xxv)
Directions: Answer the following questions as we move through The Crucible.
- Describe Reverend Parris? (Three sentences minimum)
- Why would the people of Salem not be allowed to read a novel?
- What do the people of Salem think of the Native Americans? Why?
- Who is Tituba?
- What did Parris discover Betty and Abigail doing in the forest?
- Why is Parris concerned about what they did in the forest?
- Who else is “ill” besides Betty?
- Describe Thomas Putnam. (Three sentences minimum)
- Why does Mrs. Putnam send for Tituba?
- Why does Betty claim Abigail drank the blood?
- What do you learn about Abigail’s history (childhood) when she is threatening the other girls?
- What does John Proctor think of himself?
- What used to be the relationship between John Proctor and Abigail Williams?
- Why does Rebecca Nurse have enemies if she is such a nice person?
- What does Rebecca suggest is the reason for Betty’s delirium?
- What complaint does Proctor make regarding the way Reverend Parris delivers his sermons?
- What evidence is there that Reverend Parris is greedier than the average Reverend? (Two ways)
- Describe Reverend Hale. (Three sentences minimum)
- Why is Giles concerned about his wife?
- What jumped into the soup during the dancing?
- What is Abigail accusing Tituba of doing?
- How do Hale and Parris differ in their approaches with Tituba?
- How many days have passed from the end of Act I to the beginning of Act II?
- What has Salem developed to handle the witch situation?
- What does Elizabeth want John to do?
- Why are Elizabeth and John arguing?
- What gift does Mary Warren give to Elizabeth?
- Besides being pregnant, how does Sarah Good get away with not being sentenced to death by hanging while Goody Osburn is?
- What is John Proctor’s argument against what the court is doing?
- Why does Elizabeth assume that Abigail wants her dead?
- About what does Hale question the Proctors?
- What does Proctor claim is the reason he does not go to church often?
- What is the real reason Martha is charged?
- How does Abigail incriminate Elizabeth?
- Why is Giles Corey so upset?
- What do Cheever and Parris say to cast doubt on Proctor’s reputation?
- What does John learn about Elizabeth?
- How did Proctor’s plan (having 91 people sign the affidavit) backfire?
- What is Giles trying to prove about Thomas Putnam’s motivation?
- Why is Giles arrested? What is the specific charge?
- Why do you think Mary Warren was able to faint in the courtroom, but not when she is being interrogated?
- What stunt does Abigail pull to defer the blame away from herself?
- How does Elizabeth’s testimony backfire?
- Of what does Mary accuse John Proctor? Why do you think she does this?
- What is Hale doing with the prisoners in jail?
- Why does Abigail run away?
- What does Parris suggest to Danforth?
- What did Parris find in his door? What does this suggest?
- What reason does Danforth give for having to hang the remainder of the prisoners?
- According to Hale, what has happened to Salem?
- What reason does Hale give for returning to Salem?
- Who still has not confessed besides John?
- What does Giles’ death reveal about his character?
- Why does Proctor think that he has been “rotten” for some time?
- Why does Elizabeth blame herself for John’s adultery?
- Why does John Proctor want to keep his signed confession rather than it become public?