Mrs. Morris. "To Kill a Mockingbird Web Quest." Hardin County Schools. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Oct. 2010. <http://www.hardin.k12.ky.us/nhhs/teachers/linder/To_kill_a_mockingbird_web_quest.htm>.
Questions for Mr. New's and Ms. O'Callaghan's Classes for To Kill a Mockingbird Research Project
use Facts on File - African American History Online or
1. Where did the term, "Jim Crow," originate from?
2. After the year 1900, what did the term, "Jim Crow," become identified with?
3. What Supreme Court case upheld segregation, or "separate but equal?"
4. Who was Booker T. Washington? What was his stance on the segregation debates?
5. What was the name of the new literary movement, based in Harlem, New York, which featured "New Negro" poetry and literature that emphasized self-respect and defiance under the Jim Crow laws?
6. How did some southern black people try to resist and escape the Jim Crow laws?
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/crash.htm or use Facts on File - American History Online
7. What does the term, "Black Thursday," refer to?
8. What was the date of Black Thursday?
9. Explain how the Wall Street Crash led to The Great Depression.
or use Facts on File American History Online
10. During The Great Depression, many Dust Bowl farmers packed their families into
cars and headed where?
11. Why did the farmers go?
12. Who were the Presidents during the 1930’s?
13. What did the sculptor, Gutzon Borglum, create?
14. Observe the painting, American Gothic (on the website). Describe Grant Wood’s famous work. What does it look like? What kind of life does it portray?
15. What was fashion like during the 1930’s? Observe the pictures on the site and read about the trends during the times.
16. Who were some of the prominent authors of the time? What famous works are they responsible for?
use Facts on File - American History or African American History Online
17. What were The Scottsboro Boys known for? Who were they? What did they do? How did they get in so much trouble?
18. The Scottsboro Boys’ attorneys were extremely incompetent. How did the defense attorneys show their lack of experience?
19. Were The Scottsboro Boys ever pardoned of their wrongful convictions?
use Facts on File - American History Online
20. What work is Harper Lee most famous for writing?
21. When did she win the Pulitzer Prize and for what piece of literature?
22. What famous Civil War general is Harper Lee related to?
23. Where and during what time is Lee’s novel, To Kill a Mockingbird, set?
Find a credible site with a map. An English teacher has posted this map: http://sites.google.com/site/fettermanb2/maycombcountymap
24. Based on the Maycomb County map, the Finch’s live next door to whom?
25. Whose house is the oak tree next to?
Resources were changed from original questions on Mrs. Morris' webquest to offer accurate and credible resources for students at Lenape High School in Medford, NJ. Non-credible and inappropriate sites were replaced with databases and reliable, credible websites for students to conduct research. Last updated November 28, 2011.